At martindale.com Connected, we’re sometimes called to support activities that positively contribute to the legal industry. Lawyers as Leaders: The Essential Role of Legal Counsel in the Corporate Sustainability Agenda is one such example.
The informative four-part video series was created to increase awareness of the legal issues associated with corporate sustainability and is a combined effort of the United Nations Global Compact and the International Bar Association (IBA), with the support of LexisNexis.
Together the videos form a ‘training manual’ that offers insight into Human Rights, Labour, the Environment and Anti-corruption and feature profiles of prominent legal experts and general counsel who are leaders within their organisations on sustainability issues.
While directed primarily at in-house counsel, the ‘Lawyers as Leaders’ series holds value for any lawyer or student of the law interested in corporate sustainability. But the discussion doesn’t end with the videos. Viewers can keep the discussion going on online forums on the IBA website and the ‘Emerging Issues’ group in martindale.com Connected. In the group, you can also read the blog of John Sherman, (Senior Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University) who helped produce the video project.
The first of the four modules, Lawyers as Leaders – Human Rights features:
- Introduction by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navanethem Pillay
- Analysis and commentary by Caroline Rees, Director of the Governance and Accountability Program of the Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative of the Harvard Kennedy School of Government
- Insightful interviews with:
You can watch the first ‘Lawyers as Leaders’ video here
For a list of additional resources produced, organised by type of management practice (including risk and impact assessment tools), visit: www.unglobalcompact.org/Issues/human_rights/Tools_and_Guidance_Materials.html
- Larry Bodine and LexisNexis Launch Series of Online Marketing Seminars for Lawyers
- IBA Day 2 – Regulators’ Global Reach
- Introducing a Blogger Series on Online Networking for Lawyers
- Launch Event for “Bright Ideas, Insight from Legal Luminaries Around the World”
- Online Networking for Lawyers Blogger Series