As we continue to transform Martindale-Hubbell, we rely heavily on industry feedback to help us gauge our strengths, our weaknesses, and to ensure that we deliver the kind of value our clients demand. We also rely on market surveys to better understand the extent to which the Martindale-Hubbell legal network remains a valued resource to users, particularly among corporate counsel. We recently compiled results of a corporate counsel survey conducted by Leader Networks in which more than 1,000 respondents who are in-house counsel offered comments on their use of Martindale-Hubbell. Findings from the survey are summarized below:
- Nearly 90% of corporate counsel use Martindale-Hubbell regularly and more than 50% of respondents use it on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Nearly three-quarters of in-house counsel report being either Extremely Satisfied or Satisfied with Martindale-Hubbell and more than half are likely to recommend Martindale-Hubbell to a colleague.
- Nearly seven in 10 corporate counsel use Martindale-Hubbell to identify outside counsel in an unfamiliar jurisdiction when a personal referral is unavailable; more than half when identifying counsel in an unfamiliar subject matter.
- Two-thirds of in-house counsel use Martindale-Hubbell to validate credentials of a referral.
- After personal referrals, Martindale-Hubbell is the most important resource used by corporate counsel for identifying, evaluating and selecting outside counsel – almost 500% more used than other sites such as Chambers, Best Lawyer, Law Dragon or law firm’s own websites.
- Nearly half use Martindale to evaluate lawyers from their preferred provider list
- Nearly half use Peer Review ratings as an indicator of quality in order to justify the selection process
These numbers are encouraging and suggest that Martindale continues to be a strategic resource for in-house counsel, and remains the most trusted and sought after resource for lawyer and law firm intelligence. A summary of the survey results is available from Leader Networks by clicking here.
And the transformation of Martindale-Hubbell continues with the introduction of innovative offerings such as Martindale-Hubbell Connected, Client Review Ratings, enhanced Peer Review ratings and enhanced lawyer and law firm profiles with more third party data — we look forward to even more engagement by corporate counsel as reflected in these numbers.
We thank all of those who participated in the study – input from the marketplace is invaluable as we continue to invest significant time and resources in our ongoing transformation. I encourage readers of this blog to contact me directly with your suggestions, feedback, ideas and criticisms.