There are three reasons an apartment on Central Park West in Manhattan costs so much: location, location, location. In this post we’ll give you four reasons why having your law firm’s data on martindale.com is so important, and they don’t all involve the same word.
If we think of the Internet like a virtual real estate market then putting information about your business and links to your law firm website in strategic places will deliver the most value. It helps you drive the right kind of traffic, traffic that eventually turns into clients. Unlike the real estate world, however, where physical spaces are finite, the endless sprawl of the Internet presents both an opportunity and a challenge: an opportunity in that you have many options at your disposal to drive new business, and a challenge because it can be daunting knowing where to start. For Martindale.com subscribers, most of the work is already done when we optimize your data on our site, giving you one of the best pieces of real estate on the web for legal businesses.
There are four main ways we optimize our clients’ data on martindale.com to increase its visibility and ranking on the search engines:
1. Authority- Martindale-Hubbell is one of the most authoritative sites in the eyes of Google and other search engines. Martindale.com has:
- 1.8 million in-bound links (MH has natural in-bound links with firms linking to MH, for example to their Peer Review Ratings; we also have deep linking back links)
- 500,000+ indexed pages (the average AmLaw firm site will have a few hundred indexed pages)
- A Google PageRank of 7. PageRank is defined by Google as the following: “PageRank reflects our view of the importance of web pages by considering more than 500 million variables and 2 billion terms. Pages that we believe are important pages receive a higher PageRank and are more likely to appear at the top of the search results. (http://www.google.com/corporate/tech.html)”
- 700,000+ monthly visits
2. Search - Because of this authority, your firm profiles on Martindale-Hubbell are more likely to appear at the top of search results.
3. Partnership - Google also receives the entire MH database on a monthly basis to index and rank our data. We were the first legal site to partner with Google Local (now Maps) and, as a result of our successful partnership, Google published a case study late in 2006: http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/submityourcontent/case_studies/lawyerscom.pdf
4. Best Practices - MH implements best practices in search engine optimization of your data, including:
- An XML site map. This is important because it raises the importance of lawyer and firm data to Google when it prioritizes the data.
- Page title optimization. This is important because having descriptive titles that are relevant to the content on the respective pages helps with user experience as well as search engine optimization.
Similar to opening up shop on a nice city street or a clean suburban strip is appealing to law firms seeking new business, having a complete and up-to-date listing on our site makes a great first impression to buyers looking for legal services. Also, with the addition of martindale.com Connected, lawyers can further enhance their profiles by participating in our online legal community. The public groups and blogs on Connected are also indexed by Google, and provide another way to be found by the right kind of web searches, web searches that turn into clients.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Martindale-Hubbell Collaborates with Users on Redesign of martindale.com Web Site (eon.businesswire.com)